Our favorite techy blogs, authors, podcasts, videocasts and books
For me, few things motivate like a good TED Talk, and not even those talks that are focused on ‘education” necessarily. Listening to brilliant minds being brilliant inspires me. As for bloggers try Christopher Pappas and Annie Murphy Paul.
Now, for a real mind bender of a book, try What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly, co-founder of Wired Magazine . It will make you queasy.
I would suggest some of the following books for your summer reading. Now, my style is to read only non-fiction books (because I am boring) that relate to startups. I believe a startup culture is what you need to make change in an organization. If you can build that culture you will do some great things.
- The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
- Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation
- Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World’s Top Minds
- It’s Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens
This time I think we may all have very different posts! As I am currently working as a STEM Coach, most of my summer reading is centered around Math and Science Inquiry. Don’t worry, I do have a few fun books (like Terry Pratchett and Jeffrey Archer) packed away in my suitcase. But as this is an educational podcast, list below is purely the professional learning I’m hoping to dig into this summer.
As a forewarning this is my ACTUAL summer reading/podcast list so these are not “tried and true” but rather things that I’m curious about and am planning to read/listen to:
- Succeeding with Inquiry in Science and Math Classrooms
- The App Generation
- NSTA’s NGSS Web Seminars
- What’s Your Math Problem
- And I’m also hoping to find a library and check out some of these awesome trade books to use in new NGSS Science units: Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K–12 2015
- Exemplary Stem Programs: Designs for Success